Now is an exciting time to enter the field of physical education as this profession is just beginning to tackle our nation’s growing problem with inactivity and its associated risk factors to children and adolescents.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison has been offering quality physical education (PE) teacher education programs and preparing excellent physical educators since 1911. Since the beginning, UW-Madison PE program has provided innovative programming that promotes lifelong physical activity and well-being. We are committed to transforming Physical Education into a powerful experience in which students develop physical, mental and social skills for life. To that end, our program includes the following elements:
• Standards-based curricula
• Emphasis on culturally responsive, inclusive settings
• Social and emotional learning that incorporates community building and behavior management
• Appropriate and sequential motor skill development
Our degree program provides:
• Hands-on, guided teaching
• Four-year degree program
• Wisconsin PreK-12 teaching certification
• Nationally and state recognized faculty and staff members
• Certification options in Adapted Physical Education and Health Education
• Small class sizes and advising groups
• A strong science and technology based curriculum
• Instruction within the nationally ranked UW School of Education
Students interested in the Physical Education Teacher Education Program at UW-Madison should view the program information provided on this site and in the current undergraduate catalog.