University of Wisconsin–Madison

Frequently Asked Questions

Please note: This page contains information that pertains to students currently admitted and enrolled in the Kinesiology Undergraduate program.  Prospective students and Pre-majors should speak with advisors in the School of Education’s Education Academic Services Office.


Kinesiology Undergraduate FAQ


Red Cross Certification

There are TWO courses required for a Kines 116 substitution*:

CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers (being phased out by the Red Cross)
Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers (being phased in by the Red Cross)

First Aid

A few things to keep in mind when looking for a course.

Courses that will NOT be Accepted

Courses must have both written and skills testing.

The Department will not accept the following courses as substitutions for Kines 116:

American Academy of CPR & First Aid

CPR Madison

Heartsaver CPR/AED from the American Heart Association

Heartsaver First Aid will ONLY be accepted if the written test has been completed.

*Substitutions are only done for students currently enrolled and admitted in the Kinesiology department.  This topic is discussed at every orientation and advising meeting.  Only after being admitted and attending orientation can students request a substitution.


Student Handbook

The Department of Kinesiology Undergraduate Program has a student handbook full of information.  Be sure to read over it each year.  The most recent version of the handbook will always be provided here. Kinesiology Undergraduate Program Student Handbook – revised July 2016

Advising for Kinesiology majors

Twice a year, advising meeting are held for Kinesiology Majors to attend. They are a few weeks before fall and spring registration begins, usually in late October/early November, and late March/early April. These meeting are MANDATORY. Students who do not attend these meetings will have a hold placed on their account until an advisor is able to meet with them. If you have any questions about the meetings, or are unable to attend, please contact your advisor. Please be aware, the department offers several meeting dates and times, because of this, reasons for being unable to attend any of the meetings must be discussed with an advisor in advance (work is not a good reason).If you wish to meet with your advisor at any other point during the year, contact them directly. Advisors schedule their own meetings.

Dr. Andrew Winterstein: Nat Room 1037

Nancy Krattiger-Ziltener: (A-L) Nat Room 2037
Dr. Martha McCurdy: (M-Z) Nat Room 1015

Nancy Krattiger-Ziltener: Nat Room 2037
Dr. Dan Timm: Nat Room 1042


Program Checklists

Contact your advisor with additional questions. Click on the program below for a PDF checklist.

Athletic Training

Exercise and Movement Science

Physical Education Teacher Education: Please contact your advisor.

Degree Planner

The Department will utilize the Degree Planner in myCourse Guide to improve advising. Before you attend an advising meeting, please go to the Degree Planner tab and follow the instructions below:

List all of the courses (Kines and non-Kines) you need to graduate in the My Favorites.

Move each course to an appropriate semester in the course grid.

Advisors will review them at advising meetings. However, please contact your advisor if you make changes at any other time to your Degree Planner and they will review them for accuracy.

Tips for using the Degree Planner:



Enrolling with an Authorization/Permission

For specific course availability, eligibility, permission to enroll, and waiting lists, contact the instructor offering the course. If there is no instructor listed, please contact your advisor, or the Undergraduate Office.For general enrollment information and assistance with web enrollment, especially if you are unsure how to enroll with a permission, contact the Office of the Registrar by calling the Enrollment Helpline at (608) 262-0920, Monday through Friday from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Courses that Meet only one Semester per Year

 Kines: *316, 360, 390, *521, 527, *600, 615, 618**  Kines: 427, 523, 531, 614  Kines: 508 – Theories of Behavior Change
 Anatomy: 328/329  Biomolecular Chem: 314
 Organic Chem: 341/342

*Comm B Courses
**Taught even-numbered years only

Transferring Courses

The Admissions Office decides how courses transfer. Courses that are virtually the same as a UW-Madison course will be transferred as the equivalent UW-Madison course. Courses that are not equivalent transfer as XXX-XXX. Check with your advisor to see if the course meets a required course in the program. For courses taken at a school in the UW System, go to the Transfer Information System (TIS). For courses taken at schools outside the UW system, go to Admissions and complete a form, giving the university and specific course number.The university has a 30-credit residency rule, meaning that your last 30 credits should be taken at UW-Madison.


Preparing for Graduate School

  • Not all graduate programs have the same entrance requirements. Research the graduate programs in which you are interested to be sure that you take the required course work.
  • Visit the Center for Pre Health Advising for medicine, dental, pharmacy, OT, PT, nursing , vet medicine, public health.
  • For the UW PT program contact Reenie Euhardy (265-4815).
  • Information on other graduate programs or other PT programs:
  • You can register for the GRE at Testing and Evaluation Services, 366 Education Sciences Building. Find general information on the GRE here.

Other Resources

  • SoE Career Services: Including resume and cover letter help, interview preparation, job search support, and career counseling, for all students in the School of Education.
  • Badger Careers: Whether you are researching potential careers, looking for a job or internship, applying to grad school or improving your marketability, get the tools and tactics you need to achieve your career goals.
  • The Writing Cetner
  • SoE Advising